Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 4, Chapter 3, Part 1 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Nanny and Elphaba have a discussion similar to the ones Nanny used to have with Melena.
- Nanny wants to know what's up with this whole Witch thing. She thinks Elphaba looks awful and isn't taking care of herself.
- We flash back to a previous discussion, where Nanny gave Elphaba the lowdown on the Thropps:
- Grandpa Thropp died and Nessarose is now Eminent Thropp and ruler of Munchkinland.
- She's a bit of a religious fanatic (not surprising) and has also become a smooth political operator, which is a bit surprising.
- Their brother Shell is a revolutionary involved in underground activities. He's agitating that Munchkinland secede from Oz.
- Frex lives with Nessarose now.
- Nanny comments on Nessa's newfound political skills:
"She's adept at this," Nanny admitted. "Shiz taught her well. She stands on her own two feet now." (184.108.40.206)
- Elphaba recalls Madame Morrible's proposal with the mention of the word "adept."
- She starts wondering if Morrible really did cast some sort of fate-determining spell on Nessa, Glinda, and her.
- Elphaba has started thinking more about Liir and his place in her life.
- She doesn't care that Manek died: "Any torturer was fair game for javelin icicles" (220.127.116.11).
- Sarima has completely shot down the idea that Liir could be Fiyero's son and remains in denial about his relationship with Elphaba.
- Elphaba has accepted Liir as her probable son.
- Nanny says that Glinda put a spell on Nessa's shoes and Nessa can now balance perfectly on her own and doesn't need a helper as much anymore.
- She then starts interrogating Elphaba about Liir.
- Elphaba reveals that she was in a coma for a long time and possibly gave birth to Liir without being aware of it. (Sounds a bit like Kill Bill Vol. 1.)
- Elphaba gets more involved in politics again and has renewed her determination to take down the Wizard.
- She tries to find a spell in the Grimmerie but has no luck.
- She does find a picture of a "Yackle Snarling" and gets weirded out. Yackle is rapidly becoming the "Where's Waldo?" of this book.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search