Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 4, Chapter 3, Part 1 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Nanny and Elphaba have a discussion similar to the ones Nanny used to have with Melena.
- Nanny wants to know what's up with this whole Witch thing. She thinks Elphaba looks awful and isn't taking care of herself.
- We flash back to a previous discussion, where Nanny gave Elphaba the lowdown on the Thropps:
- Grandpa Thropp died and Nessarose is now Eminent Thropp and ruler of Munchkinland.
- She's a bit of a religious fanatic (not surprising) and has also become a smooth political operator, which is a bit surprising.
- Their brother Shell is a revolutionary involved in underground activities. He's agitating that Munchkinland secede from Oz.
- Frex lives with Nessarose now.
- Nanny comments on Nessa's newfound political skills:
"She's adept at this," Nanny admitted. "Shiz taught her well. She stands on her own two feet now." (126.96.36.199)
- Elphaba recalls Madame Morrible's proposal with the mention of the word "adept."
- She starts wondering if Morrible really did cast some sort of fate-determining spell on Nessa, Glinda, and her.
- Elphaba has started thinking more about Liir and his place in her life.
- She doesn't care that Manek died: "Any torturer was fair game for javelin icicles" (188.8.131.52).
- Sarima has completely shot down the idea that Liir could be Fiyero's son and remains in denial about his relationship with Elphaba.
- Elphaba has accepted Liir as her probable son.
- Nanny says that Glinda put a spell on Nessa's shoes and Nessa can now balance perfectly on her own and doesn't need a helper as much anymore.
- She then starts interrogating Elphaba about Liir.
- Elphaba reveals that she was in a coma for a long time and possibly gave birth to Liir without being aware of it. (Sounds a bit like Kill Bill Vol. 1.)
- Elphaba gets more involved in politics again and has renewed her determination to take down the Wizard.
- She tries to find a spell in the Grimmerie but has no luck.
- She does find a picture of a "Yackle Snarling" and gets weirded out. Yackle is rapidly becoming the "Where's Waldo?" of this book.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Here Be Monsters! An Adventure Involving Magic, Trolls, and Other Creatures; The Ratbridge Chronicles Volume 1 - Learning Guide
Noodle's College Search