Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 4, Chapter 3, Part 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The journey by broom is pretty long. Elphaba travels by night and sleeps during the day.
- She's surprised when she arrives at Colwen Grounds, her mother's birthplace and current home to Nessarose. The house is super fancy.
- Frex is shocked to see her and Elphaba is equally shocked at how happy she is to see him.
- He gives her a rundown of Nessa's political activities and how she led a rebellion in Munchkinland.
- But then Frex says he's worried about Nessa and wants Elphaba to stay and help her out. He's worried that Nessa isn't up for the task of running things:
So I am to be a whipping girl, thought Elphaba, I am to be a first line of defense. Her pleasure evaporated. (22.214.171.124)
- Elphaba says she isn't responsible for Nessa, and she and Frex argue a little. Frex admits that Nessa's shoes worry him some, since they've made her so independent.
- Frex insists that Elphaba never needed the shoes, since she was always strong and cruel:
"Oh, you were a fiendish little thing," said Frex, "but so what, children grow into and out of themselves." (126.96.36.199)
- On that note, Elphaba heads off to greet Nessa.
- Nessa is upset with her for abandoning her in Shiz, but she is happy to see her now.
- The two bicker some, then go for a walk.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...