Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 5, Part 2 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The Witch is hanging out at Kiamo Ko performing a wing-plasty on some unfortunate monkeys.
- Yes, she's attaching wings to monkeys using Doctor Dillamond's notes and the Grimmerie:
She had more or less perfected the procedure, after years of botched and hideous failures. (5.2.1)
- Yikes. Elphaba is definitely becoming more of a Wicked Witch. Or at least a mad scientist.
- The Witch gets a letter from her brother Shell informing her of Nessa's death.
- Elphaba barely reacts to the news and quickly gets back to her monkey surgery. She later goes down for dinner.
- Nanny, Liir, and Elphaba all live at Kiamo Ko.
- Nanny is very old and going deaf, which leads to rather hilarious – in a macabre, black-humor way – exchanges like this:
"Nanny," said Liir, "Nessie's dead." […]
"Nessie did what?" screeched Nanny, looking rheumily out at them.
"Did died dead," intoned Chistery.
"Nessie DIED." said Liir. (5.2.19-24)
- Poor Nanny.
- Nanny then starts bemoaning Sarima's fate.
- Elphaba says she's never stopped trying to find Sarima and her family, but she can't get any information from the militia, who continue to guard the compound.
- Nanny blames Elphaba for the tragedy, but in a fairly good-natured way.
- It's been seven years since Sarima and the others disappeared.
- Elphaba now sets off for Munchkinland to attend Nessa's funeral.
Next Page: Volume 5, Part 3
Previous Page: Volume 5, Part 1