by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Judy Jones Timeline and Summary
- Judy Jones is eleven when she first arrives at the Sherry Island Golf Club to take golf lessons.
- Dexter Green spots her at the caddy house throwing a tantrum at her nurse, Hilda..
- Fast forward seven years, and Judy is nineteen and lovely.
- She is playing golf one afternoon and hits Mr. T.A. Hedrick in the stomach with a stray ball. She seems amazingly unconcerned and unapologetic.
- It seems she's just as cruel and self-absorbed as she was as a child.
- That night, Judy rows her canoe out to a platform near the Sherry Island Golf Club; she is trying to avoid a man in her house who is about to declare his love for her.
- There, Judy meets Dexter properly for the first time, and she asks him to her house for dinner the next night.
- They start an affair, but Judy never gives up her other lovers.
- Finally, Dexter turns his attention from Judy to Irene Scheerer.
- After about two years, Judy meets Dexter at a party.
- Judy cannot understand why she is so miserable when she is also so beautiful. And then – wait for it – Judy asks Dexter to marry her.
- She knows that Dexter is in a relationship with Irene Scheerer, but she cannot imagine that Dexter loves Irene more than he loves Judy.
- After a month, she breaks off their engagement. And Dexter leaves Minnesota, never to see Judy again.
- Seven years after this disaster, Dexter hears that she has gotten married: Judy Jones is now Judy Simms.
- Her husband, Lud Simms, cheats on her regularly and drinks too much.
- Judy also has children who she stays home to look after.
- Her beauty has faded, and she has settled down to an unhappy life.