The Winter’s Tale
Perdita Timeline and Summary
- 2.2: Perdita is born prematurely in a Sicilian prison.
- 2.2: Perdita is smuggled out of the jail by Paulina.
- 3.3: Antigonus takes baby Perdita to the Bohemian “desert” and abandons her.
- 3.3: An Old Shepherd finds Perdita, who has been left with a bundle of gold and a letter that details her royal lineage.
- 4.4: Sixteen years after being found by the Old Shepherd, Perdita is all grown up – she’s the Queen of the Feast at the local sheep-shearing festival and has a dreamy boyfriend, Prince Florizel. (She also has no idea she’s a princess.)
- 4.4: Perdita gets engaged to Prince Florizel (and his dad isn’t happy about it).
- 4.4: Perdita and Florizel run off to Sicily to escape King Polixenes’s wrath.
- 5.1 We learn that Perdita and Florizel have arrived in Sicily.
- 5.2 We hear second hand that Perdita’s true identity has been discovered (Hooray! Now she can be with the prince!) and that she’s saddened about the fate of her mother, Hermione.
- 5.3: Perdita witnesses the miraculous “resurrection” of her mother and is reunited with her family.