When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- King Charles I of England (1.68, 6.5)
- Reverend Gersholm Bulkeley (introduced as a character at 2.18 and appears throughout the novel)
- King James II of England (6.5, 6.15)
- Governor Andros (introduced as a character at 6.15 and is mentioned repeatedly throughout the novel; he appears in Chapter 15)
- Eleazer Kimberly (appears as a character in a Chapter 9)
- Captain Samuel Talcott (appears as a character in Chapter 19)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...