The Witch of Blackbird Pond
by Elizabeth George Speare
The Witch of Blackbird Pond Theme of Family
The saying goes that “You can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your family.” Is this true? In The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Kit is orphaned when her grandfather dies. She goes to the Wood family in Connecticut. Feeling like she doesn’t fit in, she makes her own family: Hannah, Prudence, and eventually Nat. The Wood family will always be related to Kit by blood, but Kit has found a greater sense of belonging and home with Hannah, Prudence, and Nat.
Questions About Family
- Why doesn’t Kit stay in Barbados after her grandfather dies?
- Who is the heart of the Wood family? Why?
- How would you describe Prudence’s family?
- When does Uncle Matthew finally accept Kit as part of the family? Does Kit feel a part of the Wood family?
- What is Kit seeking when she makes plans to return to Barbados? Why does she eventually decide not to go?
Chew on This
You can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your family.
Our family is made up of those we surround ourselves with, those we love.