The Witches Chapter 15 Summary
- Their plan works, and Grandmamma successfully lowers our narrator onto the GHW's balcony. Into her room he goes.
- Other than a nasty smell, there isn't anything unusual about the room. Oh, except for the three frogs jumping around.
- After a few minutes of rushed thinking, our narrator-mouse concludes that the bottle he's looking for must be hidden somewhere unusual – under the mattress, perhaps?
- Sure enough, he's right – almost. The bottles are hidden inside the mattress, so he tears away at it (good thing he's a mouse) and out a bottle comes, the FORMULA 86 DELAYED ACTION MOUSE-MAKER.
- As he's about the leave the room with it, though, the door opens and he has to hide. He scurries behind a bedpost while the frogs, who aren't as quick or agile, just hide under the bed.
- In walks the GHW who basically tells the frogs that she's going to kill them later. Great.
- Not knowing what's going on below, Grandmamma begins to worry and shouts down to her grandson. Hearing this, the GHW goes to the balcony to see who's calling.
- Luckily, Grandmamma is quick with her thoughts. She claims that she just dropped her knitting and that she had been shouting to her grandson who was in the bathroom.
- Not so luckily, the GHW shuts the balcony door behind her, and our narrator-mouse's escape route is blocked.
- Just then, there's a knock on the door – it's the older witches coming to get their bottles of Mouse-Maker. As the door is opened, our narrator manages to shuffle out unseen and back up to the fifth floor. Phew.
- He calls to his grandma, who lets him in, and together they rejoice that he successfully got the Mouse-Maker potion and that he came out of it alive. Of course, they talk once again about the creepiness that is the GHW.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search