Cite This Page
The Witches Chapter 6 Summary Page 1
- In walks this group of women, all chatting, filling up the seats farthest from the platform. Our narrator doesn't mind, he'll just keep on doing his thing, hidden behind the screen.
- Being a seven-year-old, though, he is curious, so he checks out the scene. One of the ladies is scratching her head. The narrator's a little embarrassed for her. (Maybe he should be embarrassed – he doesn't catch on too quickly, does he?)
- Then he realizes they're all scratching their heads. Ah, they must have head lice. Gross. (He's still a little slow on the uptake...)
- Then one of the women pushes her fingers underneath the hair on her head – she is wearing a wig… and gloves... and so are the rest of them. (Light bulb!) Now it's a real uh-oh.
- Needless to say, our narrator freaks out.
- He can't leave, because the doors are chained shut. He needs to stay still so they don't notice him, but he's so scared that he faints. When he comes to, it's silent around him, but he still hasn't been spotted. Phew! So far so good.