The Narrator Timeline and Summary
- After our narrator's parents die in a car accident, he goes to live with his grandma in Norway. He loves it there, mostly because he loves his grandma.
- She tells him all sorts of stories about witches who spend their time squelching children. These stories excite him and scare him all at the same time.
- He and his grandma move back to England where he grew up, and one day, he has a face-to-face encounter with a witch. He's smart about it, though, and comes away without a scratch.
- While he's on vacation with his grandma at a big hotel, he accidentally finds himself locked in a room full of scary, ugly witches – and ugly is putting it nicely.
- Hiding behind a big screen, he overhears the witches' plan to turn all of the children of England into mice. This can't be good.
- Just when he thinks he's safe, the witches find him hiding, and turn him into a mouse. Just like that, our narrator has gone from human to rodent (but he can still talk).
- He goes to his grandmother for help, and, together, they figure out a plan. As a mouse, he's able to sneak into the head witch's room and steal some of the formula that the witches were planning to use to turn children into mice.
- Our narrator takes this formula into the hotel kitchen and manages to dump it into the witches' dinner, which eventually turns them all into mice. Chaos ensues.
- Still (and forever) a mouse, our narrator heads back to Norway with his grandma. He learns that he only has a few more years to live, and decides he will use those years to take down the rest of the witches in the world.