by Roald Dahl
The Witches Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why do witches hate children so much anyway? What have children ever done to them?
- How would you have tricked the witches? Which of their weaknesses would you have played on? Could you come up with a plan better than the narrator's?
- Grandmamma sure is chatty when it comes to witch-related information. What would have happened if she had never told our narrator all about witches?
- Other than his starring role in a Roald Dahl book, what do you admire most about the narrator? Why?
- What is Grandmamma's back-story? How did she lose her thumb? What was her childhood like? Imagine it all.
- According to the author, all witches are women. According to many readers, this is sexist. Based on the rest of the book, do you agree?
- How would you have illustrated this book? Draw a picture of The Grand High Witch and see how it stacks up to Quentin Blake's illustration.
- Wait a second, weren't witches children themselves once? How does that work? Do witches hate witch children, too? This is a curious matter.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...