The Woman in Black Chapter 3 Summary
The Journey North
- Arthur gets on the afternoon train and looks through Mrs. Drablow's file.
- As he's sitting there, a man comes in to share his compartment and introduces himself as Sam Daily.
- He shows some interest in the Drablow file, but Arthur pretty much ignores him.
- That's because Arthur thinks he's an ignorant hick, but of course he's far too British and polite to say that to his face.
- Sam says all sorts of dreary things about the countryside out there, and then offers to give him a ride.
- It's in an automobile (how very fancy!), which gives us one of the few clues as to what time period we're in.