The Woman in Black Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Like every other horror story or movie protagonist ever, Arthur Kipps just won't leave the site of the haunting. Why do you think he decides to stay on?
- Why does Jennet think it's okay to exact revenge on other people's children? Does she think they were actually responsible for the death of her son, or is she just messing with everyone?
- What does the Eel Marsh House represent? Why is the location such a central part of the story?
- Why is the story framed as something that happened in the past? Is it more or less effective than if it were told in the recent past or in the present?
- Do you think the woman in black will always haunt Arthur? Has he fully moved on?
- What is the deal with Sam Daily? Why is he so intent on helping Arthur out?
- Why doesn't anyone tell Arthur the whole story about the house and the haunting when he arrives?
- What makes this a good old-fashioned British ghost story? What elements are more modern?
- By the end, do you believe that the woman in black has found peace? Will she continue to haunt other people?
- What's the significance of Stella and her son's death? Is there a reason they're killed in a similar situation to Jennet's son?
- How does the book build up suspense? Does it rely on creating a sense of atmosphere, or on shocking events?
Next Page: Quizzes
Previous Page: Analysis