The Yellow Wallpaper
Cite This Page
The Yellow Wallpaper Part 12 Summary Page 1
- It’s the last day in the house.
- John stays in town overnight with a patient, and Jennie offers to keep the narrator company, but she declines.
- As soon as night falls, the narrator goes to the wallpaper to help the woman trapped inside.
- The narrator and the trapped woman peel away yards of the wallpaper.
- The sun rises and the narrator believes the pattern is laughing at her.
- She is due to leave tomorrow with John.
- Jennie comes into the room and is astounded to see much of the wallpaper gone.
- The narrator says she will sleep the rest of the day and requests that no one disturb her.
- After Jennie leaves, the narrator locks the door, throws the key down the stairs, and gets to work. The narrator prepares a rope to capture the woman in the wallpaper once she gets out.
- The narrator then tries to move the bed so she can stand on it to strip the wallpaper.
- The bed doesn’t move. The narrator gets so enraged that she bites it.
- She gets angry enough that she contemplates jumping out the window, only to find that the windows are barred.
- The narrator is happy that she can now creep around the room as she wishes.
- John tries to get in the room.
- He pounds on the door and the narrator finally tells him that the key is on the front path.
- He comes in and is shocked to see his wife creeping about.
- The narrator tells John that she (the narrator) has finally escaped and that he cannot put her back.
- John faints as the narrator continues to creep around the room.