Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories Yertle the Turtle, Lines 55 – 62 Summary
It's All Mine
- At long last, King Yertle has finally reached his pinnacle, and what a sight it is. Who cares that his citizens are teetering precariously over imminent ruin like some twisted game of Jenga?
- Again, as if we hadn't already heard him a million times before, Yertle repeats his assertions about how powerful and cool he is. '"I'm king of the trees!/ I'm kind of the birds! And I'm king of the bees!'" (57-58). Yeah, we heard you the first twelve times, Yert.
- He also has no hesitations about throwing around the adjective "marvelous" before his name (61), as if we can't just as well call ourselves the Marvelous Shmoop (which we won't…usually).
- And, yet, as always, none of the other turtles say anything because they're too exhausted keeping him on the very top of his pyramid scheme.
- Yertle can pretty much be summed up in these two words, '"Ah, me!'" (60).
- Yes, Yertle. Ah, you, indeed.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search