Young Goodman Brown
When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
- The Bible (Genesis throughout, Exodus 7.11 in paragraph 36)
- John Bunyan (The Pilgrim's Progress)
- John Milton (Paradise Lost)
- "The Gray Champion" (another Hawthorne story; "Young Goodman Brown" was attributed to "the author of 'The Gray Champion'" when it appeared in 1835)
- Salem Witch Trials (1, 27, 32, throughout)
- Protestant Persecutions under Mary Tudor (17)
- King Philip's War (18)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search