Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching the 1960sTeacher Pass
Teaching the 1960s Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- What is it about the 1960s? Why did this particular decade inspire so much idealism and commitment to reform? Consider the following possibilities and explain how they are (or are not) related to the significance of the 60s.
- Does it have something to do with the decade that preceded?
- Why might the 1950s leave so many believing that a "new America" should and could be produced?
- Was it Eisenhower? Elvis? Little Rock? Sputnik? Prosperity?
- Does it have something to do with the world war that ended fifteen years prior?
- Or the Cold War waged since?
- How would you characterize the last decade (2000-2010)?
- How about the new decade? (2010-2020)?
- Do they have a definable spirit? Explain.
- Do they differ from one another? How?