Causes of the Civil War Teacher Pass
A classroom united.
Without the Patrick Swayze TV mini-series, how will anyone learn about the events leading up to the Civil War? From you, of course, with the help of this teaching guide.
In this guide you will find
- activities analyzing a variety of viewpoints: the North's view of the South, the South's view of slavery, and Lincoln's view of the whole mess.
- modern connections, like Ken Burns's Civil War documentary.
- related reading on topics like Reconstruction and Abolitionism.
It may have been a nation divided, but you'll have a classroom united with this teaching guide.
What's Inside Shmoop's History Teaching Guides
Shmoop is a labor of love from folks who love to teach. Our teaching guides will help you supplement in-classroom learning with fun, engaging, and relatable learning materials that bring history to life.
Inside each guide you'll find quizzes, activity ideas, discussion questions, and more—all written by experts and designed to save you time. Here are the deets on what you get with your teaching guide:
- 3-5 Common Core-aligned activities (including quotation, image, and document analysis) to complete in class with your students, with detailed instructions for you and your students.
- Discussion and essay questions for all levels of students.
- Reading quizzes to be sure students are looking at the material through various lenses.
- Resources to help make the topic feel more relevant to your 21st-century students.
- A note from Shmoop’s teachers to you, telling you what to expect from teaching the topic and how you can overcome the hurdles.