American Imperialism & Spanish-American War Teacher Pass
More isms than you can count.
The Spanish-American War was between the Spanish and the Americans—that's the easy part. If you want your students to dig a little deeper—and you do—into issues like racism, colonialism, yellow journalism, and other -isms, we've got the tools you need.
In this guide you will find
- activities analyzing historical documents (and we don't mean a first-edition Harry Potter) and creating a timeline of events, among loads of other activities.
- essay questions to put the conflict into context.
- modern resources showing elements of the war that are still raging today.
With all this material in their brains, your students will be able to ace a few Jeopardy! categories someday, too.
What's Inside Shmoop's History Teaching Guides
Shmoop is a labor of love from folks who love to teach. Our teaching guides will help you supplement in-classroom learning with fun, engaging, and relatable learning materials that bring history to life.
Inside each guide you'll find quizzes, activity ideas, discussion questions, and more—all written by experts and designed to save you time. Here are the deets on what you get with your teaching guide:
- 3-5 Common Core-aligned activities (including quotation, image, and document analysis) to complete in class with your students, with detailed instructions for you and your students.
- Discussion and essay questions for all levels of students.
- Reading quizzes to be sure students are looking at the material through various lenses.
- Resources to help make the topic feel more relevant to your 21st-century students.
- A note from Shmoop’s teachers to you, telling you what to expect from teaching the topic and how you can overcome the hurdles.