Causes of the Cold War
Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching Causes of the Cold WarTeacher Pass
Teaching Causes of the Cold War Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- How legitimate were Russia's security concerns after World War II?
- Should the sacrifices the Soviets made during World War II have earned them extra consideration from the United States?
- Could the United States allow the Soviet Union to control Poland?
- Especially after fighting a war prompted by Germany's assault on several countries including Poland?
- While Roosevelt seemed willing to make some concessions on Poland, Truman took a hard line—which position was wiser?
- Did Roosevelt's pragmatism leave the door open to good relations?
- Or did it invite further Soviet aggression?