The Day Lady Died
by Frank O'Hara
The Day Lady Died Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Do you find the speaker's hip attitude and intellectual creds appealing or off-putting?
- Have you seen a performance so amazing that you literally forgot to breathe?
- Why does O'Hara capitalize the name of brands, stores, and clubs?
- Can you think of a modern-day equivalent to Billie Holiday's death?
- Be honest. Is this a real poem, or just a description of someone's day put into verse? What, if anything, makes it "poetic"?
- Why does the speaker sound so darned casual until the poem's final lines? Does he actually feel grief, and if so, how does he express it?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...