Little Bee (The Other Hand)
by Chris Cleave
Little Bee (The Other Hand) Questions
- Would you machete-chop off one of your fingers if you were in Sarah or Andrew's place? Why or why not?
- Do you know anyone who has experienced anything like Little Bee's flight to a new place? If so, how does that experience compare with Little Bee's? If not, has reading Little Bee changed your perspective in any way?
- What political arguments does the novel make?
- Which character's political opinions are most or least like your own?
- Why does Little Bee wish she was money?
- Have you ever experienced detention (yes, school detention counts)? If so, did the experience change you, or not? How does detention change Little Bee?
- Why does Little Bee want to prove to the readers "that the color of [her] life is gray" (1.36)? Does she manage to prove it?
- Do you think Little Bee will ever stop imagining ways to kill herself?
- Is Little Bee a reliable narrator? Is Sarah? What would the story look like if Charlie were the one narrating?
- Why do readers react so strongly to Sarah? Why don't some readers like her very much? How do you feel about her?
- Is this novel destined to be a classic, or not? Why?
- What do you think happens to the characters at the end of the novel? Do you like that the ending is open, or wish the loose ends were more neatly tied up?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...