Read the full text of King John Act 5 Scene 3 with a side-by-side translation HERE.
- When the scene opens, the battle is raging between King John's forces and those of Louis and the rebelling English noblemen.
- King John and Hubert come on stage.
- King John asks how things are going. Hubert says not well. He asks how King John is doing. John says that he's feeling a little sick.
- Just then, a messenger comes in, telling King John that the Bastard (whom he refers to as "Falconbridge") wants him to leave the battlefield and find someplace safe to hide out. King John says that he will be going to the abbey at the nearby town of Swinstead.
- The messenger tells King John to cheer up: some ships bringing supplies for Louis have run aground on a sandbar. He says that the tide of battle is turning against the French.
- King John continues to complain about his fever.
- Everybody leaves the stage.