The One and Only Ivan Chapters 27-28
Advertisement - Guide continues below
not sleepy, the beetle
- Ivan tells us that Gorillas are not complainers—instead they are dreamers, poets, philosophers, and nap takers.
- But Ivan is having trouble sleeping tonight, so he hits Stella up for a late night chat.
- Ivan is concerned about Stella, who has been limping, but Stella turns the focus back to Ivan, and helping him get back to sleep.
- Stella encourages him to recall pleasant memories from his past, but Ivan claims he can't remember anything.
- Stella points out the difference between can't and won't, to which Ivan admits that he isn't really interested in remembering.
- Stella believes that memories help tell us who we are, and that we should hold on to them.
- Ivan skims through his mental contacts, mostly former cage keepers, without a trace of excitement, and still can't sleep.
- Bob dreams of chili fries, Ivan of nothing—yet.
- The next morning, Mack brings Ivan a black crayon, and after searching for black things to draw, Ivan finds his muse in a beetle.
- Julia is thrilled to discover Ivan's bug rendering and shows it to Mack.