The One and Only Ivan Chapters 44-47
Advertisement - Guide continues below
the parking lot, ruby's story, a hit, worry
- Business is picking up. Mack was right, adding the cute little elephant to the road sign has brought in more visitors.
- Ivan is starting to feel old and not so cute anymore.
- Ruby continues to solicit elephant jokes, but Ivan is all out.
- Perhaps it's in elephant DNA, but like Stella, Ruby turns out to be a good storyteller.
- She tells Bob and Ivan the story of her capture, how she lost her family and how humans saved her.
- Bob, the cynic, doesn't believe she was saved. He doesn't trust humans at all, and thinks maybe Ruby is too naïve.
- Ruby challenges Bob's thinking a little, assuring him that there are good humans and bad humans.
- Stella's foot gets worse and even though she's too hurt to do the tricks for the afternoon show, Mack forces her to perform a minimal routine.
- By evening she can barely walk, so Mack brings Ruby into the ring.
- Ivan doesn't know whether to feel sorry for her or proud of her.
- Julia brings Ivan some colored markers and paper, but Ivan is too worried about Stella's worsening health to draw anything.
- Julia discovers just how bad things are that night when she finds Stella on her side, not breathing well.
- She urges her dad to call Mack and get help, but the vet isn't coming until morning.
- Julia spends the evening by Stella's side.