Revelations of the Bridal Chamber
- Dougal tells Claire, "I want this marriage consummated, wi' no uncertainty whatsoever" (15.2). Cue the Marvin Gaye?
- In their room, Jamie asks Claire to tell him about her first husband, saying that he will do his "best to honor his spirit by serving his wife" (15.25).
- Then they agree to always give each other honesty.
- Jamie tells her that the main reason he married her was to keep her safe from Black Jack Randall.
- They drink, and Claire learns a lot about Jamie's family and his history; then it's time for bed.
- Maybe we should put bed in italics.
- Jamie undresses Claire, and Claire finds out what Scotsmen wear under their kilts.
- Naked in bed, Claire takes Jamie's virginity.
- Then they do it again.
- Hungry from all the lovemaking, Claire steps outside… and is greeted with all the hoots and hollers of the men in the main room.
- Guess there's no doubt now that the marriage is consummated.
- After eating, Claire, um, kisses Jamie's Blarney Stone, or whatever the Scottish version of this oral sex euphemism would be.
- Claire and Jamie tell each other: "I don't hate you" (15.253). That's as close as they're getting to love for now.