- Claire wakes up in a cottage that belongs to a man named MacRannoch and his wife, Lady Annabelle.
- Murtagh arrives and explains that Claire is Jamie Fraser's wife, and that makes him Ellen's son.
- It turns out that MacRannoch gave Ellen the pearls that Jamie gave Claire—Scotland is a small world, it seems.
- While Murtagh is chatting them up, Rupert ends up stealing MacRannoch's cattle and somehow letting them loose in Wentworth Prison.
- During the catastrophe (should we say cow-tastrophe? No?), Jamie is recovered and Randall is trampled.
- Back at the cottage, Claire has to tend to Jamie's wounds… and they are numerous.
- The smashed hand is the worst… and Jamie doesn't want to be drugged either, in case they have to make a run for it.
- Jamie screams—a lot—but Claire gets it set the best she can.
- Later that night, she sees MacRannoch cut a brand off Jamie's chest; it was a signet with Randall's initials. He had marked him.
- Jamie tries to talk to Claire about what happened, about Randall raping him repeatedly, but he can't do it. He breaks down, shaking, and eventually falls asleep.