- Jack tells Lucy that Mrs. Springer has called and told him about the baby’s death, and that he needs to look for Rabbit, who he loves.
- They argue about his involvement with Rabbit and she claims that, if Eccles hadn’t meddled, this wouldn’t have happened.
- He takes this to mean that she thinks he’s responsible for the baby’s death.
- She apologizes, but he agrees with her.
- She asks what motivated him, and he claims it was a belief that all marriages, even awful ones, are sacred.
- They argue and he thinks of calling Ruth, but Rabbit calls from a pharmacy in Brewer, because he couldn’t reach Janice by phone, and Eccles breaks the news to him.