Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part II, Chapter 26
- Jeanette turns 10, and when Dad asks her what she wants for her birthday she says, "stop drinking" (2.26.9).
- So Dad does. He ties himself to the bed for days, going through withdrawals.
- Jeanette thinks that this time, it will stick.
- Sober, Dad decides to take the family to the Grand Canyon.
- But the car breaks down along the way.
- Dad says they'll all have to walk home. It's only 80 miles.
- An old woman stops and offers them a ride home.
- That night, Dad doesn't come home.
More on The Glass Castle