- Laurent and Thérèse become lovers. Since Thérèse cannot leave the shop, Laurent comes through the alleyway, and Thérèse opens the staircase door to let him into the bedroom.
- They quickly develop an insatiable lust for each other. (Insert 1980s porn music here.)
- On one fine day of love-making, Mme Raquin almost walks in on the two, but Thérèse manages to divert her attention.
- Another time Thérèse and Laurent are getting it on, Thérèse notices the cat (François) watching them. She jokes that if the cat could talk, it could reveal their affair.
- Laurent doesn't find the joke all that funny. He's unnerved by François's big green eyes.
- Creepy cat is creepy.