- The film proper opens with a graveside scene and church bells tolling.
- Very gothic and creepy.
- Oops, there's Fritz (who has a hunchback) and Henry Frankenstein, sneaking around just outside the churchyard.
- The mourners wander off and the gravedigger does his thing (that's digging graves.)
- Then he leaves too.
- Notice that it's not clear what time or place we're in. The gothic background is almost medieval, but the gravedigger's clothes seem early 20th century.
- Henry orders Fritz out of their hiding place and into the graveyard.
- They dig into the new grave.
- And after some time they get out the coffin.
- Henry says the corpse is just resting waiting for a new life. It sounds religious…but as you'll see, it's not.
- The two graverobbers wheel the coffin away.
- They arrive at a gallows, and Henry tells Fritz to climb up and cut the body down.
- So up goes the reluctant Fritz, and down comes the body.
- But the neck of the body is broken, which means the "brain is useless" according to Henry. He says they have to get another brain.
- They need different brains, all right. Because (in case you couldn't tell) None of This Will End Well.