Advertisement - Guide continues below
- And the scene switches to a medical college.
- Dr. Waldman's discussing brains; he's got one perfect specimen in a jar, and another which is the brain of a criminal.
- Fritz is hiding outside the classroom and listening.
- Waldman dismisses the class…and that's when sneaky brain-stealer Fritz makes his move.
- He opens the window and sneaks, sneaks on in.
- He bumps into a hanging human skeleton used for medical purposes and startles himself. But he recovers, and grabs the good brain.
- While he's leaving, though, a loud noise startles him, and he drops the good brain.
- So he grabs the one labeled "Abnormal Brain" instead, and scuttles off.
- Notice the long shot of Fritz fleeing, with the skeleton framed towards the center of the frame. It's a very composed, still image.
- Director Whale often keeps the camera still; as a result, it sometimes seems like you're looking at a theater set instead of a film.