Advertisement - Guide continues below
Like Wheel of Fortune, Except You Die
- Effie Trinket arrives in District 12.
- Gale and Katniss sit in a field and discuss the future, burdened by the reality of family they are unwilling to leave behind.
- Katniss wanders the Hob before she goes home.
- She picks up a mockingjay pin from an older woman who gives it to her with a pained look in her eyes, knowing the terror that the child is going to face in a matter of hours when the selection begins.
- Katniss returns home to wash and dress in her finest dress, which isn't so fine.
- Katniss gives the mockingjay pin to Prim, promising her that it's a talisman of protection.
- The children march silently into town for identification and sign in for the Reaping.
- The magenta peacock, Effie Trinket, introduces a short PSA made to let the kids understand the glory of the Hunger Games for which they're lined up waiting like the Tributes of Athens.
- Ladies first, and horrified silence echoes as the tiny Primrose is selected.
- Katniss runs out to volunteer in her place and tells Prim to go.
- The peacekeepers surround her and push her towards the stage.
- (Peacekeepers—classic case of dystopia-speak. They'd just a soon kill you as look at you.)
- Katniss's fate is sealed as the first volunteer ever from District 12.
- The next name called is Peeta Melark: Katniss recognizes this boy, but they're clearly not friends.
- In a quick flashback, she remembers something about seeing him at his family's bakery.
- Katniss has only a few moments to say so long, farewell to her family.
- Prim puts the protective mockingjay pin in Katniss' hand and begs her to win.
- Katniss admonishes her mother to rise to the occasion and not abandon Prim like she did when their father died.
- Gale enters and assures Katniss that killing an animal is no different than what she is about to face. Alright, then.