Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Blinding light.
- In cold robotic tones, the Gamemakers count down the last moments before the rumble begins.
- The thumping of time runs out, and the blare of doom hits us as the children burst from their stands into a sea of blood and murder and mayhem.
- Katniss runs through the slaughter to grab a pack before narrowly escaping the thrown knife of a Career—a fighter trained for years by previous winners— and then flees into the forest.
- More running, deeper into the remote and relative safety of the forest.
- The media interrupts the running with the sounds of the cannons: one for each fallen Tribute.
- Apparently, a huge chunk of the competition is out of it right off the bat; um… good news?
- Katniss goes about the business of survival.
- She lays traps for food, collects water, and generally stays secure in her element: this is her kung fu.