- The Dude is back at the Lebowski mansion.
- Brandt tells him that there's been a tragedy and that he must speak with the Big Lebowski immediately.
- The Big Lebowski is distraught, huddled in front of his massive fireplace in his massive study.
- The Dude burns one, and the Big Lebowski reveals that his wife has been kidnapped. He shows The Dude the ransom note, which demands $1 million. The Dude declares the whole thing a bummer.
- Brandt tells The Dude that they need his help. He needs to courier the money to the kidnappers.
- When The Dude asks why he's been selected for this task, Brandt informs him that the kidnappers may be the very people "who … ah … soiled your rug."
- The Dude agrees to try and catch the carpet pissers.