The 1920s Quotes
They Said It
| "The business of America is business."
- President Calvin Coolidge20
| "We in America today are nearer to the final triumph over poverty than ever before in the history of any land... we shall soon, with the help of God, be in sight of the day when poverty will be banished from this nation."
- Presidential candidate Herbert Hoover, 192821
| "These men of many nations must be taught American ways, the English language, and the right way to live."
- Henry Ford, speaking of immigrants22
| "History writ with lightning, and my only regret is it's all so terribly true."
- President Woodrow Wilson, commenting on the pro-KKK film Birth of a Nation23
| "Scopes isn't on trial, civilization is on trial."
- Defense attorney Clarence Darrow, on the Scopes "Monkey" Trial24
| "They did not come here to try a case. They came here to try revealed religion. I am here to defend it, and they can ask any questions they please."
- William Jennings Bryan, testifying at the Scopes "Monkey" Trial25
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...