AP® Music Theory
Move to the rhythm.
You may not be Mozart (or maybe you are—hey, we think that's a great name), but we bet Wolfie A. himself wouldn't have been able to compose his way to a 5 on an AP exam.
Lucky for you, that's where Shmoop's guide to the AP Music Theory exam comes in.
In this guide, you'll learn
- the secret to figuring out figured base.
- what exactly "texture" has to do with music.
- how to sight-sing your way to greatness.
Let's get musical, musical.
What's Inside Shmoop's Online AP Music Theory Test Prep
Shmoop is a labor of love from folks who love to teach. Our Test Prep resources will help you prepare for exams with fun, engaging, and relatable materials that bring the test to life.
Inside Shmoop's guide to AP Music Theory, you'll find
- a diagnostic exam to figure out where you're struggling before you even begin.
- two full-length practice exams that mimic the look and feel of the exam.
- answer explanations to figure out where you went wrong…or right.
- test-taking tips to help you break down a lengthy exam.
- loads of practice drills.
- review of musical terminology.
- refreshers on notational skills, including rhythms and meters, clefs and pitches, and melodic transposition.
- review of score analysis, including harmonic procedures, texture, and formal devices and procedures.
- checkups on aural skills, including sight singing, melodic dictation, and music literature.
- information on form, harmony, intervals, and more.
We have online Test Prep for each and every AP Exam!
- AP Art History
- AP Biology
- AP Calculus AB & BC
- AP Capstone
- AP Chemistry
- AP Chinese Language and Culture
- AP Comparative Government and Politics
- AP Computer Science
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
- AP Environmental Science
- AP European History
- AP French Language and Culture
- AP German Language and Culture
- AP Human Geography
- AP Italian Language and Culture
- AP Japanese Language and Culture
- AP Latin
- AP Macroeconomics
- AP Microeconomics
- AP Music Theory
- AP Physics 1
- AP Physics 2
- AP Physics B
- AP Physics C
- AP Psychology
- AP Spanish Language and Culture
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture
- AP Statistics
- AP Studio Art
- AP U.S. History
- AP U.S. Government & Politics
- AP World History