Advertisement - Guide continues below
Divine Job Descriptions
- The Chronicler gives us a big long list of the descendants of Aaron and his sons Eleazar and Ithamar. Aaron's relatives who were alive in David's day will be serving as priests.
- Sure, there are more potential priests on Eleazar's side, but both groups get to share equally in all the duties in the Temple. No rivalries there.
- To decide who exactly gets to do what, the guys "cast lots." Basically that just means they randomly picked to see who got what job.
- Of course, that means that God had a hand in their selection because he loves manipulating games of chance.
- The Levites do the same thing. They randomly pick to see who gets what duty in the Temple. Sorry to whoever pulls goat dung cleaning duty.