Advertisement - Guide continues below
Bad to the Bone
- After six years of hiding, the high priest Jehoiada hatches a plan for Joash to retake the throne of Judah from his usurping grandmother.
- Jehoiada forms an alliance with some of the commanders of Judah's army and the Levites in towns around the country.
- He lets them know that Joash is actually the former king's long lost son. He's come now to take his place on the throne because God wants a Davidic king.
- The men (who Jehoiada arms with weapons) all guard Joash while the high priest crowns him king.
- When Queen Athaliah hears about this, she's shocked, shocked.
- Everyone has turned against her by now, and Jehoiada orders the armed men to seize the queen and put her to death with a sword.
- Once that's done, the king and the people in Judah all agree that they should really start turning back to God again. That means no more idols and worshipping of Baal.
- Jehoiada gets the priests into the Temple and gets sacrifices burning like they should.
- Everyone rejoices. The terrible idol-worshipping, child-murdering queen is dead and Joash is king.