Advertisement - Guide continues below
Over the Top?
- Construction on the Temple begins. Solomon's careful to put the Temple on the exact site that God told David to build on. That's Mount Moriah.
- Remember the threshing floor of Ornan? God appeared to David there back in 1 Chronicles, told him that's where the Temple was supposed to go, and the rest was history.
- The Chronicler goes on to give all kinds of complicated measurements for the Temple. He goes over the length, height, and width of all the different areas.
- Solomon turns out to be quite the interior designer. His favorite material? Gold. The walls are gold, the statues are gold, even some of the nails are gold. (Eat your heart out, Donald Trump.)
- He's also a big fan of angels. Giant golden angels with giant golden wings are everywhere inside the Temple.
- Naturally, the curtain that covers the inner sanctuary is made of the finest fabrics in rich blue, purple, and crimson colors.
- Out front, Solomon erects two huge pillars. He has a chain wrapped around each one, and pomegranates grow in the chains.