Book of Joshua Chapter 14
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Joshua Declares Only Even Numbers are Allowed
- The chief priest Eleazar, Joshua, and the heads of the tribal families oversee the allotment of the Promised Land among the twelve tribes.
- Joshua likes even numbers, so to cope with the fact that the Levites don't receive any land (because they're priests), the people of Joseph are counted into two tribes: Manasseh and Ephraim.
- The people of Judah, led by Caleb, come to Joshua first.
- Caleb was one of the original twelve spies sent into Canaan. See Numbers 13:30; 14:24. He is now 85 years old. What a champ.
- Joshua blesses him and gives the tribe Hebron (1-15).