Book of Joshua Chapter 20
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Sanctuary From The Avenger Of Blood
- God requests that Joshua set aside cities of refuge for those guilty of accidentally causing someone's death. He told Moses to do the same thing (check out Numbers chapter 35).
- God then explains the rules for these cities of refuge.
- If a fugitive is pursued by an avenger of blood (coolest name ever), they are safe from harm in a refuge city.
- This makes them sanctuaries.
- A trial should be held to prove that the death was definitely accidental. If proven, the killer is deemed innocent. They can't return home, though, until the death of the high priest.
- Refuge cities are established in Kedesh in Galilee (where Jesus is from), Shechem in Ephraim, and Kiriath Arba in Judah (7-9).
- You might want to jot that information down somewhere. You know, just in case.