James, 1-2 Peter, Jude Language and Communication
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Language and Communication
Sticks and stones can break our bones, but words can never hurt us…right?
The Bible doesn't quite agree.
In these four epistles, words and language have immense power:
- God speaks to humanity and his word is eternal and unchanging.
- Christians who spew negative words can hurt people's feelings and really bum God out.
- People who speak without the backing of God can lead people astray.
- And untamed tongues? Well, they're really only good for French kissing.
Questions About Language and Communication
- According to these epistles, Christians need to be careful whose words they follow. Is there ever a way to know for sure that someone is telling you the right thing to do?
- They say the pen is mightier than the sword. Can words be more dangerous than physical actions in some cases? Why or why not?
- Does the fact that the Bible is translated from another language affect our understanding of it?