Sticks and stones can break our bones, but words can never hurt us…right?
The Bible doesn't quite agree.
In these four epistles, words and language have immense power:
- God speaks to humanity and his word is eternal and unchanging.
- Christians who spew negative words can hurt people's feelings and really bum God out.
- People who speak without the backing of God can lead people astray.
- And untamed tongues? Well, they're really only good for French kissing.
Questions About Language and Communication
- According to these epistles, Christians need to be careful whose words they follow. Is there ever a way to know for sure that someone is telling you the right thing to do?
- They say the pen is mightier than the sword. Can words be more dangerous than physical actions in some cases? Why or why not?
- Does the fact that the Bible is translated from another language affect our understanding of it?