Book of Jeremiah Chapter 18
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Bring Your Prophet to Work Day
- God sends Jeremiah to the potter's house to see how clay pots are made (like in Mister Rogers' Neighborhood).
- Jeremiah sees that the potter takes the clay pots he's messed up and remakes them into better ones.
- God tells him that this is what he's doing with Judah. They're clay in his hands and he'll ruin them if he has to.
- But the people say that they'll continue to do whatever they please.
- God says that what Israel's doing by abandoning God is just unnatural. Would snow leave the crags of Sirion in Lebanon or the mountain streams run dry? Unthinkable!
- But the people keep worshipping other gods.
- God will turn his back to them, leaving them scattered in front of their enemies.
- Bulletin: People have hatched a plot against Jeremiah to try to shut him up.
- Jeremiah pleads with God, saying that he tried to ask for mercy for these people, but now they're trying to kill him.
- Now it's personal. So Jeremiah asks God to make their children die by famine and to make their wives childless widows. Their men should die by disease, and their youths should die in battle.
- He wants God to deal with them while he's still angry enough to do some serious damage.
- Jeremiah sounds like he's had it with these people already.