Book of Jeremiah Chapter 21
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- King Zedekiah of Judah sends the priests Pashur and Zephaniah to ask Jeremiah for God's advice about how to deal with King Nebuchadnezzar's Babylonian invasion.
- Zedekiah's hoping God will save them with a miracle.
- Nope. God says that he's going to fight on the side of the Babylonians against Judah.
- God will kill the people and animals in Jerusalem through war, pestilence and famine.
- The people who survive (including Zedekiah) will be captured by Nebuchadnezzar, who will kill a lot of them.
- God says that they're better off surrendering—if they don't, they'll likely get killed, and Nebuchadnezzar will burn down the city.
- Another prophecy from God warns the House of David, telling them to be righteous and to punish robbers, or else God will wreak vengeance on them.
- The people living in the valley around Jerusalem will have no hope of saving themselves, so they shouldn't kid themselves about their refuges and hiding places.
- God's going to kindle a fire that will devour everyone; there's no place to hide.