Book of Jeremiah Chapter 24
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- After Nebuchadnezzar takes Coniah into exile, God shows Jeremiah two baskets of figs placed in front of the temple.
- The one basket has really good figs in it, and the other has rotten figs that can't be eaten.
- God asks Jeremiah what he sees, and Jeremiah says that he sees good figs and horrible figs that you can't eat. (Eye roll.)
- God says that the good figs are the people who will survive and go into exile. He'll eventually let them return and give them a heart that will love God.
- But King Zedekiah and his officials, and the people who remain in the land or who leave for Egypt are the rotten figs.
- All the kingdoms of the world will see them as a horror and a disgrace.
- They'll all be utterly destroyed by sword, famine, and disease.