Book of Jeremiah Chapter 43
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- When Jeremiah finishes, Johanan and Azariah accuse him of lying: they don't believe God really advised them to stay. Typical.
- They claim that Baruch is encouraging Jeremiah to get them to stay so they'll be handed over to the Babylonians.
- So Johanan takes most of the people who remained in Judah (including Jeremiah and Baruch) and heads for Egypt.
- They disobey God and arrive at Tahphanes in Egypt.
More Performance Art
- God tells Jeremiah to take some large stones and bury them at the entrance to the Pharaoh's palace.
- He tells Jeremiah to announce to everyone that Nebuchadnezzar will ravage Egypt and build a throne above the stones. He'll also send people to their destined punishments of war, famine, or disease.
- Nebuchadnezzar will burn the temples of the Egyptian gods and take them (probably meaning their idols) captive.