The Pastoral Epistles (1-2 Timothy, Titus) 1 Timothy: Chapter 4
Advertisement - Guide continues below
1 Timothy: Chapter 4
Haters Gonna Hate
- Paul explains that it's totally normal for opposition to start bubbling over when the world is about the end. The last days will make people a little antsy.
- There are people out there right now who are basically following demons and are hypocrites and liars. (Spoiler alert: these are Paul's opponents.)
- They tell people not to get married and not to eat certain foods (hello, bacon!).
- Paul believes that everything God created is good. That means marriage and any kind of food.
- Paul reminds Timothy to pass all his teachings along to keep the people on the righteous path to Heaventown.
- They should stay away from a faith that's based on urban legends and old wives' tales. Check snopes.com to figure out the difference.
- Be Godly and fight the good fight because that's what God wants, says Paul.
- Oh, and Timothy shouldn't let anyone brush him aside just because he's young. As long as he's acting like a stand-up guy, he'll command their respect.
- When Paul gets into town, he'll help, but until then, it's all up to Timothy to hold down the fort. Good luck, dude.