2001: A Space Odyssey Part 4, Chapter 27
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part 4, Chapter 27
"Need to Know"
- A brief pause as we dive into the brain of Hal.
- Hal is focused entirely and exclusively on the completion of his mission.
- He's also committed to truth.
- But he's been forced to lie to Bowman and Poole.
- The mission is actually a secret (hint: the mission involves aliens).
- Bowman and Poole weren't told for fear that in communication with earth their demeanor might accidentally reveal something.
- Hal knew, but couldn't tell, so he got neurotic.
- Bowman threatened him with disconnection and he freaked out.
- So now he's going to kill everyone and continue the mission alone.
- There's a long history of untrustworthy and dangerous artificial persons in science-fiction, starting with Frankenstein's monster.
- Hal is not very original. He's a lot more fun than any of the humans, though.