A Clash of Kings Chapter 23
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Catelyn dreams about days with her whole family but wakes up on the road to Renly Baratheon's camp.
- Although she is to parley with Renly, she does not know if it will go well since Robb will not bend the knee to another king.
- They are escorted to Renly's camp by his sentries, where Catelyn is surprised by just how large her host is.
- They arrive in time to see the conclusion of a tournament melee, which is what entertained people before they invented video games.
- A knight in blue armor wins against Ser Loras Tyrell, and Catelyn is surprised to learn it is Brienne of Tarth, a woman knight.
- Renly grants Brienne any favor she would wish of him, and she asks to join his Rainbow Guard; he grants the request.
- Catelyn is received by Renly and updates him on her son's war.
- She joins the would-be king for a rich feast and watches as the young knights enjoy the game of war.
- Renly takes Catelyn out for a walk-and-talk. He explains to Catelyn that he believes Stannis would be an awful king.
- He claims his right to the throne is one of might and support of the lords—or, as we call it, the I'm popular play.
- A rider rushes in and informs Renly that Stannis has besieged Storm's End.